Garlan is a Barony located in Mid-World, to the west of Gilead . Aunt Talitha of River Crossing states citizens of Garlan have dark skin. It is a tobacco growing region, supposed home to the Grand Featherex and many poisons are produced here. There have also been stories of dragons that lived in this land.
Role in the Dark Tower SeriesEdit
- In a flashback during volume I it is said that Garlan is west of New Canaan and directly before the Mohaine Desert. Due to this and the fact that Roland traveled a long way west following Walter it can be assumed that he traveled through Garlan at one point
- The poison that coated the knife intended to kill Steven Deschain came from this area.
- Eldred Jonas is taken hostage here and received a vicious whipping, possibly during the time of civil war which erupted in the Barony.
- Walter Padick spent time here under the name of Walter Hodji learning of the various poisons and also under the initials R.F.
- Roland Deschain's grandfather, Alaric, once went to Garlan to slay a dragon, only to find that it had already been slaughtered by another king. This king is potentially King Roland from The Eyes of the Dragon, who had killed a dragon and had its head mounted.